If you’re buying or selling a home in Texas, it’s important to know about the risk of termites. These pesky insects can cause serious damage to homes, so it’s important to get a termite inspection before you finalize any deals. In this article, we will discuss 5 things you need to know about termites before your home inspection. Keep reading for more information!
1. What do termites look like?
Termites are small, winged insects that are often mistaken for ants. They range in color from white to dark brown and can be found near sources of moisture, such as damp soil or rotting wood.
2. What do termites eat?
Termites feed on cellulose, which is found in wood and other plant materials. As they eat away at the wood in your home, they can cause serious damage.
3. How can I tell if I have termites?
There are a few signs that you may have termites in your home. These include:
- Mud tubes on the exterior of your home: Termites build mud tubes to travel from their nest to their food source. If you see mud tubes on the exterior of your home, it’s a good indicator that you have termites.
- Wood that sounds hollow: If you tap on wood in your home and it sounds hollow, it may be because termites have eaten away at the interior.
- wings: If you find wings around your home, it’s a good sign that termites are present. The wings are shed when the termites mate and start a new colony.
4. How can I prevent termites?
There are a few things you can do to prevent termites from infesting your home:
- Keep your gutters clean: Clogged gutters can cause moisture to build up around your home, which is an inviting environment for termites. Be sure to clean your gutters regularly to prevent this problem.
- Remove any sources of moisture: Fix any leaks in your plumbing and make sure there’s no standing water around your property. These measures will help keep termites away.
- Store firewood away from your home: If you have firewood on your property, be sure to store it at least 20 feet away from your home. Termites are attracted to wood, so keeping it away from your house will help deter them.
5. What should I do if I find termites?
If you find termites in your home, it’s important to call a professional to get rid of them. Do not try to tackle the problem yourself, as you may make it worse. A professional termite inspections Boerne will have the tools and knowledge necessary to safely and effectively remove termites from your home.
If you’re buying or selling a home in Boerne, be sure to get a termite inspection before you finalize any deals. These pesky insects can cause serious damage to homes, so it’s important to be aware of the risk. Use this information to help keep your home free of termites! Thanks for reading!
Lone Star Inspections
32882 Interstate 10 West Suite 203, Boerne, TX 78006